Thursday, June 11, 2009

Be Safe My Son......

It is one thing to romanticize about the patriotic heroism associated with military service. It is another thing entirely to experience the utter futility and needless loss of life that wars produce. It is ironic that though I, after serving my country twice in Viet Nam, as a devout pacifist spent the early part of the week saying goodbye to my oldest son as he prepares to leave for Iraq.

He was not, as most are, some fresh out of high school 18 year old that was sold some bill of goods by an Army recruiter. He will soon turn 27 and made an informed decision that going through military training would augment his chosen career in law enforcement. Despite my political leanings I encouraged him because he was doing things for the right reasons. For that I am proud.

But I am fearful not only for his physical well-being but afraid that his experiences will cause him to see the rest of his life through the olive drab glasses of a cynic. A cynic like me. Never to again accept things at face value.


A few soldiers will be wounded, fewer still will pay the ultimate price, ALL will be changed.

-----------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. I suppose this experience wouldn't leave anybody indifferent. I just hope it's for good. All the best to your son while he's over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks L.Q.! Some will come back with a better grip on reality, some will lose touch with it. I'm hoping for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? I think my reader is messed up.

    Anyway, my thoughts for you and your son. I can imagine that must have been a hard thing to see transpire. My husband is in the military and has spent some time in Iraq. So for once I can actually sympathize with you from experience.

    ReplyDelete

I read ALL comments right after they're posted. I may fail to respond, but please know your input is appreciated.